"Henry Whitney, b. at 25 Pearl St., New York, 23 Aug. 1812; was graduated at Yale College in 1830, and settled in New Haven, Conn., in 1837, where he continued to reside until his death, living for a year in "Maple Cottage", Trumbull Street, until the fine mansion which he built for himself on Whitney Avenue (now occupied by his son Stephen) was completed; married, 27 Jan. 1835, by Rev. Dr. Lyell, at the residence of her parents, 498 Broadway, N. Y., to Hannah Eugenia Lawrence, born in New York, 27 Jan. 1815, dau. of Isaac Lawrence and his wife Anna, dau. of Rev. Abraham Beach, D. D., minister of Trinity Church, New York. She died, 16 March 1844, in New Haven, and was buried in the New Haven Cemetery. He married (2d), 25 July 1850, at Norwich, Conn., Maria Lucy Fitch; and died in New Haven, 21 March 1856, and was buried in the New Haven Cemetery. . . . . She married (2d), 20 Nov. 1862, at New York, Nathan Adolphus Baldwin, of Milford, Conn., where they resided in June 1877. They have one child, Natalie Augusta Baldwin, born at Milford, 26 Dec. 1864."

"The History of the Old Town of Derby, Connecticut 1642-1880" by Samuel Orcut t and Ambrose Beardsley, M.D. 1880 p779 "Stephen..was a merchant in New York city..He died Fe b 16, 1860; buried in Greenwood, of which cemetery he was one of the original incorporators , and a director through his life. He went to New York when 18 or 20 years of age, having had only ordinary advantages at Derby, and engaged himself as clerk to the firm of Lawrence and Whitney, shippers, in which his brother Henry was a partner. By energy and business talent he soon acquired means to enter copartnership with John Currie, a Scotchman, in the wholesale grocery trade. He traded largely in wines, then in cotton, then engaged in ship-building and the shipping trade to nearly all parts of the world; then in canals and railroads, and finally in banks, accumulating great wealth."

He set himself in business as a liquor retailer and later wholesaler in 1805 at Nr 4 Stone Street, New York. Stephen Whitney's fortune grew heavily thanks to some large and fortunate speculations in cotton. In the 1830's he was among New York's richest men. His fortune was doubled by shrewd investments in city real estate. Second in wealth to John Jacob Astor, Whitney's fortune was estimated between 5-10'000'000 dollars at its height.

FROM

 
Webster Family Genealogy    Yorkshire Roots; Inventors and More...
  
 


   
   
   
 

 

 

 

Contact Beth Northrop
ejnorth123 AT juno.com


 
Killinghall

 

 

Killinghall is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North YorkshireEngland.

It is located three miles north of Harrogate, extending south from the bridges on the A61 over the River Nidd. The undeveloped area between Killinghall and Harrogate is known as Killinghall Moor. The village of Ripley lies a mile to the north and Hampsthwaite two miles to the west. Killinghall is located on the A61 making it convenient for travel to Harrogate or Ripon. A regular bus service between Ripon, Harrogate and Leeds stops in Killinghall.

It is primarily a commuter village, although there are a few farms, two public houses (The Greyhound and the Three Horseshoes), a day nursery for children, a fish & chip shop, doctor's office and a large garden centre with nursery.

The village is well represented locally by successful football and cricket teams.

There is also a Killinghall in Bradford.

External links[edit]

Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Killinghall

Coordinates54°01′22″N 1°33′50″W


 

 

location map -- click to enlarge

          Click on the map for other historical maps of this place

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Killinghall like this:

KILLINGHALL, a village and a township in Ripley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Nidd, adjacent to the Nidd Valley railway, 1 mile S of Ripley; and has a post office under Leeds. The township comprises 3, 250 acres. Real property, £3, 942. Pop. in 1851, 569; in 1861, 746. Houses, 162. The manor belonged formerly to the Chomleys and the Lawsons, and belongs now to the Duke of Devonshire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Church school.

 

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13186

 

Welcome to Waymarking.com!

We hope you've been able to find what you are looking for. We would also like to encourage you to take some time to browse some of the other aspects of our site. We recommend viewing our featured waymarks, or perhaps the newest waymarks. You can also create a free membership to track your progress online and share your locations with others.Click here to view the complete waymark directory
Milestone - Otley Road, Killinghall, Harrogate, Yorkshire, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member HitchinLookers
N 54° 01.143 W 001° 34.135
30U E 593760 N 5986588
Quick Description: In contrast to others in the area, this is a well cared for milestone.
Location: Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/20/2012 10:53:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMDRVH
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 0

Long Description:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMDRVH_Milestone_Otley_Road_Killinghall_Harrogate_Yorkshire_UK

KILLINGHALL
KILLINGHALL, in the parish of Ripley, lower division of Claro, liberties of Knaresborough and Ripon; 1¼ mile S. of Ripley, 5 from Knaresborough, 9 from Ripon. Pop. 519. A few houses at the north end of the village are within the constablery of Nidd, and liberty of Ripon.

In Domesday book, is called Chenihalle, i.e. Kennelhall; probably a place where the hounds (which belonged to the Lord of the Manor) were kept, for it was no uncommon thing for noblemen, during the time of the Saxons, to keep Mastiff dogs, for chasing wolves out of their territory. --Dugdale's Bar.

It was formerly the residence of several families of note, viz. Pulleyn, Tancred, Baynes, &c. Heaps of ruins, covered with grass, mark the place where two of their mansions stood; from the materials of which, several farm Houses, with their offices, have been erected.

The Norwich troop of horse, which was a part of Cromwell's regiment, were quartered at Killinghall, in July 1644, a few days after the battle of Marston. This troop had embroidered on their colours, La Troupe des Vierges, being raised by the voluntary subscription of the young Ladies of Norwich.

It was for some centuries the seat of the family of Pulleyn. Captain John Levens, who lived in the reign of Charles I. having, in the latter part of his life, quitted the army, became one of the people called Quakers, and retired to this peaceful solitude, where he ended his days, in the year 1668. He and his two sons were interred in an orchard here; and, perhaps, no places are more proper, to bury our dead in, than gardens, groves, or airy fields. This custom is of the highest antiquity; the Greeks, or eastern Christians, do not bury in churches. --Hist. Knaresborough.

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2007]

 

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Ripley/KillinghallHistory.html

KillinghallGo back

 

Situated two miles north of Harrogate, this ancient settlement grew at the junction of the Leeds to Ripon turnpike (1752) and the Dudley Hill (Bradford) and Ripon turnpike (1753). These roads are now known as the A61 and B6161 and on the latter can be found an old milestone.

The river Nidd divided the townships of Killinghall and Ripley and there has been a bridge here since very early times. There were always two mills at this point on the river. One was a corn mill but the other was put to a variety of uses. In the 15th century it was a fulling mill for felting cloth and in 1871 it was a sawyer's. Shuttles were made there for 400 years and one of the shuttlemakers named Mitchell invented anew type. j In 1960 the mill was closed and Mr Yeadon the shuttlemaker departed leaving all his tools, lathes and shuttles.

A house dating from the 17th century is Levens Hall in Lund Lane. It was the home of Capt John Levens, a Parliamentary officer and a member of the Society of Friends or Quakers. He died in 1688 and is I buried in the orchard where his children are also interred.

Primarily a farming community, other occupations in the village have included sieve maker, maltster, wheelwright, muffin baker and linen weaver. Weaving was done at Knotty Ash Cottage in Lund Lane. Stone was quarried near Killinghall Bridge and the last building to be constructed of Killinghall stone was Harrogate's Municipal Offices.

The village has experienced considerable housing development since the Second World War. Today there are three public houses, a post office, an antiques shop and a general stores. On the outskirts of the village on Killinghall Moor a large housing estate was started in the 1970s. At Penny Pot Lane there is an army camp for the Army Apprentices College. In spite of all this building and its close proximity to Harrogate, Killinghall is still a separate village and has retained its character.

NB
The village information above is taken from the North Yorkshire Village Book, written by members of North Yorkshire Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books. Click on the link below to view Countryside's range of other local titles.

 

http://www.visitoruk.com/Harrogate/killinghall-C592-V10804.html

                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     
                     

 

 
    ej northrop ©2013 All Rights Reserved. site design by damnedcomputer.com