"The History of the Old Town of Derby, Connecticut 1642-1880" by Samuel Orcut t and Ambrose Beardsley, M.D. 1880 p779 "Stephen..was a merchant in New York city..He died Fe b 16, 1860; buried in Greenwood, of which cemetery he was one of the original incorporators , and a director through his life. He went to New York when 18 or 20 years of age, having had only ordinary advantages at Derby, and engaged himself as clerk to the firm of Lawrence and Whitney, shippers, in which his brother Henry was a partner. By energy and business talent he soon acquired means to enter copartnership with John Currie, a Scotchman, in the wholesale grocery trade. He traded largely in wines, then in cotton, then engaged in ship-building and the shipping trade to nearly all parts of the world; then in canals and railroads, and finally in banks, accumulating great wealth."
He set himself in business as a liquor retailer and later wholesaler in 1805 at Nr 4 Stone Street, New York. Stephen Whitney's fortune grew heavily thanks to some large and fortunate speculations in cotton. In the 1830's he was among New York's richest men. His fortune was doubled by shrewd investments in city real estate. Second in wealth to John Jacob Astor, Whitney's fortune was estimated between 5-10'000'000 dollars at its height.
|Webster Family Genealogy Yorkshire Roots; Inventors and More...|
Contact Beth Northrop
The location of the marriage of
The June 17, 1850 marriage certificate lists Idle as the place of residence for both Charles Benjamin Webster, butcher s/o William Webster, farmer and for Eliza Ann Parker, d/o William Parker, foundry man.
Calverley is a village in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire, England, on the A657 road, midway between Leeds city centre and Bradford. In the 1086 Domesday Book it is shown as Caverleia also Caverlei.
Calverley is a rural village with a medieval manor house, Calverley Old Hall which was home to the Calverleys. Houses in the village are mostly constructed of sandstone, darkened by the soot of the Industrial Revolution, though there are brick buildings to the south of the original village. The Anglican parish church St Wilfrid's, has parts dating from the 11th or 12th century. The tower was added and increased in the 13th to 15th century. There is a Methodist church dating from 1872, beside Victoria Park, a recreation ground which is home to Calverley St Wilfrid's Cricket Club. Both churches are Grade II listed buildings. There are two golf courses to the south of the village, Woodhall Hills (established 1905) off Woodhall Road, and Calverley Golf Club off Woodhall Lane.
In 1604 the landowner, Walter Calverley, went insane and murdered some of his children in Calverley Hall. He refused to plead and was ordered to be pressed to death, a method used to try to force a confession. However, he died without confessing his crime in order to ensure that his estate was not taken from his remaining family. Legend has it that he can still be seen as a ghost, wandering in the grounds of his former home.
|Site Name: St Wilfrid (Calverley)
Country: England County: Yorkshire (West) Type: Sculptured Stone
Nearest Town: Horsforth Nearest Village: Calverley
Map Ref: SE208372
Latitude: 53.830650N Longitude: 1.685456W
Condition: 3 Ambience: 3 Access: 5 Accuracy: 4
Sculptured Stone in Yorkshire (West)
St Wilfrid's church at Calverley to the west of Leeds. The church houses a collection of Medieval cross-slabs. But one slab in particular is Anglo-Saxon, possibly from the 7th-10th centuries CE. This has a cross and chalice carved upon it. It once marked the grave of a Saxon priest. The slabs stand against the chancel wall, and were brought inside the church in 1977 for safety and preservation.
|Site Name: Horsforth Milestone
Country: England County: Yorkshire (West) Type: Rock Art
Nearest Town: Leeds Nearest Village: Horsforth
Map Ref: SE23323748
Latitude: 53.833060N Longitude: 1.647147W
Condition: 5 Ambience: 1 Access: 5 Accuracy: no data
Horsforth Milestone submitted by DavidRaven
Cup and Ring marks / Rock Art in Yorkshire (West)
Listed in Boughey and Vickerman's 'Prehistoric Rock Art of the West Riding', no. 204. The cut and dressed stone is prism-shaped, possibly a milestone.
On its upper surface are three distinct depressions, called 'cups' in the PRAWR book, and it is listed on the Leeds UDP website under 'Class 1 Scheduled Ancient Monuments'. The Leeds City Council website lists the stone as being 440m south east of the roundabout at Horsforth on the A65. The book sites it 320m from the roundabout at Horsforth, outside house number 142. I found it to be outside this house, on a very narrow pavement. It must be a pain in the ass for folks with pushchairs!
There is a O.S. stud and benchmark present, and Boughey & Vickerman suggest the marks may actually be to support a surveying instrument.
|Site Name: St Oswald (Guiseley)
Country: England County: Yorkshire (West) Type: Ancient Cross
Nearest Town: Guiseley
Map Ref: SE1940542110
Latitude: 53.874833N Longitude: 1.706342W
Condition: 3 Ambience: 4 Access: 4 Accuracy: 5
St Oswald (Guiseley) submitted by rldixon
Ancient Cross in Yorkshire (West). Cross shaft within St Oswald's Church, Guiseley
rldixon writes: Nice little Cross in a nice little Church. Two gardeners / Church wardens ?? were very helpful and opened up for us. The cross has some small bits of paint on it from some childrens event, spoils it a little but overall a nice cross
|many more http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=28044|
Not sure if this is in Calverley??