Northrop Genealogy ~~~ John Hannegan Civil War
14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, Company A
(Hanegan, Hannegan Hannagan, Hanagan, Hannigan, Hanigan, Hanaghan, Hannaghan)
from coat of arms Heenan, Henaghan, henehan, heenon,hanegan, hannegan, hanigan, hannigan, haneghan
Back to Hannegan family
John, a blacksmith and saddle tree maker, was married to Sarah Hannegan. They lived in Westport on the Fairfield border. .
John served in the Civil War in the 14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded, losing the use of his right hand. John enlisted July 12, 1862 and was discharged May 31, 1865. daughter Maggie would have been about 16 when her father left for the war. was John was widowed in September 1869 when Sarah died in Westport age 43. John was admitted to the Civil War Hospital Hampton, VA April 13, '1878
From the dates listed (later at the hospital), it appears John served for the duration of the unit which was active August 23, 1862, to April 10, 1865.
The 14th sustained the largest percentage of loss of any regiment from Connecticut.
from National Archives
John Hannigan /Hannagan (Hanegan) Civil War Service Blacksmith
more on the 14th
The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and another at Antietam. From the Gettysburg monument: “Lost in killed and died in the service, 366; in wounded and disabled many hundreds. Original muster 1015; recruits 697, final muster of original members, present and absent, 234” fm The Civil War in the East
"Initially, 1,015 men were mustered... When it arrived at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863, the regiment was reduced to 165 officers and men...After the Battle of Gettysburg, they were down to 100." . They lost almost 85% of the regiment by July 1863 and over 90% after Gettysburg. If you had 10 close buddies when you enlisted. By the end of Gettysburg you might have been have been the only one left alive. ......
The History of the Fourteenth Regiment, Connecticut Vol. Infantry includes mention of John's injury at Fredericksburg. It would later cause him to lose the use of his right hand.
1860 Census Westport
???? John Hannegan (There is also a possible New Haven Record)
|Event Place||, New York, New York, United States|
|Birth Country||Great Britain And Ireland|
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Civil War Hospital Hampton, VA John Hannigan Blacksmith, General Butler, Co "A" 14 Conn Vol. age 61, 1st admission
Died at Hospital Sept 2 1889 Exhaustion and of old age
|family Margaret A Norton (prob Northrop) Southcourt CT (prob Southport)|
|enlisted July 12 1862|
|discharged May 31, 1865|
|Co A 14 CT volunteers|
|Admitted April 13, '1878|
United States National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938
1817 ** different birth date from census **
Hampton, Virginia, United States
|family search link|
Taken shortly after the Civil War, this close-up view shows the 4-story Chesapeake Female Seminary building commandeered by Union doctors for use as officers' wards. (Courtesy of the Library of Congress)
Beginning in 1862, those who died in the hospital were buried at a cemetery two miles northwest of Fort Monroe. In 1866, this cemetery officially became Hampton National Cemetery. After the war, the remains of Union soldiers were reinterred here from sites in Big Bethel, Newport News, Jamestown, Craney Island, Deep Creek, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Blackwater, Smithfield, Suffolk, and Cherry Stone.
The cemetery originally covered 4.75 acres, but has since increased to 27 acres on two discontinuous parcels. The older Hampton Section is at the intersection of Cemetery Road and Marshall Avenue, while the Phoebus Section, added in 1891 due to the need for additional burial space at this national cemetery, is one-half mile east, near the intersection of West County Street and Frissell Street. The Hampton Section is roughly rectangular, containing six burial sections, and is bounded by Hampton University on all sides. The main entrance at the center of the northern boundary is marked by a 12-foot wide, wrought-iron gate with granite piers and pedestrian gates on both sides. A five-foot tall stone wall encloses the north and south borders of the old section, with a granite wall surmounted by an iron picket fence enclosing the others. The roadway leading from the entrance terminates in a circle looping around the flagpole, approximately one-third of the way into the cemetery grounds.
Hampton VA Medical Center has been operating on this site for 135 years--it was purchased in October 1871 and began operations in January 1872.
|VA Hampton||Southern Branch National Military Home||1871-1933||registers, hospital, burials||index, burials, NPS site, history, image, image, image, cemetery, website|||
This home on Pequot Avenue, Southport, Connecticut is a recently restored example of the Northrop Brothers fine carpentry and building in the Southport-Greeens Farms area.
Image Courtesy of David Parker Associates