Frederick Elmore Northrop, son of William Fenn Northrop
|He was a Connecticut State Senator.
The above image and text from
Taylor's legislative history and souvenir of Connecticut, 1897 Volume 8 By William Harrison Taylor
|Their daughter, Marjorie, was the Marjorie Rutili with whom my mother corresponded.|
Southport has had at least three public or semi-public libraries. In February, 1830, the "Mill River Social Library" was formed. Life memberships could be secured upon payment of $10, annual memberships paying a certain sum annually. Among the life meni- Ijers were Jeremiah Sturges, Hezekiah Davis, Julius Pike, Simon Sherwood and Joseph Bulkley. After a few years this association went down and the books were distributed among the members.
PEQUOT LIBRARY, SOUTHPORT
The Pequot Library, an institution of which any village like Southport could justly be proud, was built and equipped by Mrs. Elbert B. Monroe, a niece of the late Frederick Marquand, whose ancestor, Henry Marquand, settled upon the site now occupied by the library in 1768. . In later years Frederick went to New York, where he amassed a fortune, a portion of which he placed in the charge of Mrs. Elbert B. Munroe, Henry C. Marquand, Alanson Trask and D. C. McWilliams for educational purposes. The trust fund has been managed so that over three millions of dollars have been used in founding schools, libraries, etc., or as donations to established colleges or other institutions.
It was from this fund that Southport received its handsome library building, which stands upon a beautiful lawn, where once stood the Marquand homestead. Perhaps it would have been appropriate to name the library the "Marquand Memorial," but the name "Pequot" was selected because it stands in sight of the spot where the last great fight of the Pequot war occurred in July, 1637. The library contains about thirty-five thousand volumes and was first opened to the public in 1894. It is controlled by an association, the officers of which in 1917 were as follows: John H. Perry, president; H. H. Perry, secretary; Frederic E. Northrop, treasurer; Josephine S. Hendrick, librarian; Frances E. Gleason, assistant librarian. The institution is free to the people of Southport.
The Southport Fire Department was incorporated on October 81, 1895. Previous to that time, however, the village had a volunteer fire company. After the incorporation an engine house was built on Main Street, where in 1917 were quartered a steam fire engine, a hook and ladder truck and a hose carriage. H. H. Perry was then president of the department, which is still chiefly on a volunteer basis; E. A. Van Holtz, Jr., and W. S. Hemson, vice presidents; T. N. Wakeman, secretary; Theodore Van Holtz, Jr., financial secretary; Fred E. Northrop, treasurer; John O. Dwyer, chief engineer.(also many Joseph Northrop architect references -- a number of schools)
History of Bridgeport and vicinity By George Curtis Waldo
AGE AT ARRIVAL
PLACE OF BIRTH
YEAR OF BIRTH
DATE OF ARRIVAL
January 1st, 1925
SHIP OF TRAVEL
PORT OF DEPARTURE
|From Le Havre to New York
This home on Pequot Avenue, Southport, Connecticut is a recently restored example of the Northrop Brothers fine carpentry and building in the Southport-Greeens Farms area.
Image Courtesy of David Parker Associates